Last Updated on October 2, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
This Instant Pot Barley Soup with beef is both hearty and amazing. It has become a family favorite and I love how easy it is to make. I hope you do enjoy this soup as much as we do. This soup goes great with homemade bread!
How to Make Beef and Barley Soup in an Instant Pot
Begin with an onion, a large carrot (or 2 medium ones), and 2 ribs from the stalk of celery, and cut them.
Next, you will need to take some fingerling or baby potatoes and do the exact same thing.
Let’s get cooking!
Heat some olive oil in the Instant Pot.
When the oil is hot, add the onion, carrot, and celery.
Sauté the vegetables for a couple of minutes.
Then, add one of the main stars of this dish: beef! This soup is best made with chuck roast cut in chunks.
The beef needs to be sauteed for a few minutes, or until it is just slightly browned around the edges. And then, add the other star of this soup: barley. Before adding to the pot, make sure to rinse it under cold water for about a minute.
Add some Worcestershire sauce to the dish and some basic spices to finish this soup off.
Give it all a final stir.
Then, top with the potatoes and bay leaves.
Seal the lid of the Instant Pot and cook at high pressure.
You’ll be extremely happy when the soup is ready. Your kitchen will also smell amazing.
You can now ladle some soup into a big bowl. And enjoy as much as you can of this delicious and flavorful beef and barley soup.
This Beef and Barley soup are simple but spectacular. And it is a lighter version of a rich beef stew.
Instant Pot Barley Soup with Beef Recipe Card
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
|Additional Time||6 minutes|
|Total Time||51 minutes|
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large (or 2 medium) carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 pounds chuck meat, cut into chunky (yet bite-size) cubes
- 6 cloves (2 tablespoons) garlic, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound baby or fingerling potatoes, skins-on and quartered/roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- First, add the olive oil to your Instant Pot. Press the Sauté button, then adjust to the More or High setting. After 3 minutes of heating the oil, add the onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes, until it becomes soft.
- Then, add in the beef and garlic and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 more minutes, until the beef is lightly browned around the edges.
- Add the broth, barley, and Worcestershire sauce. And season with thyme, black pepper, and salt. Then, give the soup a stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Top with the potatoes and bay leaf.
- Seal the lid, move the valve to the sealing position, and press Cancel. Then, choose the Manual or Pressure Cook function and set it for 20 minutes. After cooking time has elapsed, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes (you don’t have to do anything for 15 minutes). Then, do a quick release.
- Serve in bowls with some bread (either crusty French/Italian or garlic knots).
The barley will absorb the broth the longer the soup sits after cooking, making the barley very soft. This will result in a thicker, very hearty soup. You can add some broth if you have any leftovers to reheat and you want more broth.