Last Updated on August 9, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
White forest cakes are the best! Learn the difference in taste between white forest cake and black forest cake. Also, you can learn how to design your white forest cake. This 6-inch layer cake is great for any occasion! And if you like this white forest cake recipe, you can try Vanilla Cake With Strawberries, Brownie Mix Cookies with White Chocolate, Cherries and Pistachios, and Cherry Coffee Cake.
What is White Forest Cake made of?
This white forest cake is a six-inch layer cake, and it is made of white cake layered between the cherry filling and white chocolate whipped cream frosting. Then, it is topped with white chocolate shavings to make it the perfect celebration dessert!
White Forest Cake VS Black Forest Cake
What is the difference between Black Forest Cake and White Forest Cake? The white forest cake is similar to its older sibling, the black forest cake (also known as black forest gateau), and it has whipped cream frosting and cherries in a syrup infused with kirschwasser. Kirschwasser, also known as just kirsch, is a spirit distilled from sour cherries. This adds a distinct kick to the cherry syrup, which makes it so delicious!
This cake is unlike a traditional black forest cake because it does not contain chocolate! You will replace the chocolate cake layers with white vanilla cakes and add white chocolate to the whipped cream frosting.
Ingredients for White Forest Cake
- Cake Flour: Use cake flour to keep the layers light and fluffy. You can make your cake flour at home if you don’t already have it. Don’t forget to use the accurate measurement of the flour. So, measure the flour by weight with a kitchen scale or by volume using a spoon-and-level method.
- Granulated Sugar: Adds sweetness to white cake layers
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These leavening agents give your cake a light, fluffy texture.
- Salt: This balances the sweetness and emphasizes the vanilla flavor on the cake layers.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter for this recipe. It should be at room temperature, so take it out an hour before you plan on making your cake. Or, see the tips below to bring it up to room temperature quickly.
- Vegetable Oil: This is an excellent way for the cake layers to have a moist texture!
- Buttermilk: It needs to be at room temperature. Also, you can make your buttermilk if you don’t have some on hand by following the steps below.
- Egg Whites: Use egg whites instead of whole eggs to create the pure white appearance of the cake layers. It is best to separate eggs while they are still cold. Then, let the egg whites reach room temperature entirely before you add them to your batter.
- Vanilla Extract: Make sure you use high-quality pure vanilla extract. Or, you can also make vanilla extract with only 2 ingredients: vanilla beans and vodka or bourbon. Moreover, use a clear vanilla extract to preserve the whiteness of the cake layers. However, using pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste is preferable.
Next, to make the cherry-kirsch filling:
- Pitted Dark Sweet Cherries: Use fresh or frozen, and you need approximately one 16-oz bag of frozen cherries.
- Granulated Sugar: This brings out the sweetness in the cherries.
- Cornstarch: It helps thicken the fillings a little.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: This gives more bright tartness to the cherry filling.
- Kirschwasser (or kirsch): This is a spirit distilled from tart cherries. You can substitute brandy, rum, or cognac if you don’t have access to it. Also, you can use unsweetened cherry juice if you prefer not to add alcohol. However, the amount of sugar used in the filling should be cut to 1/2 cup.
Now, you will make a light; fluffy white chocolate whipped cream topping (don’t worry, it’s so easy):
- White Baking Chocolate: You can use Ghirardelli white baking bars.
- Heavy Cream: This is often called “heavy whipping cream” when it’s on the shelves.
- White Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix (optional): This instant pudding can give the whipped cream a little more stability to allow it to stand up better to the layers of the cake.
- White Chocolate Shavings: These are optional, but they add a lovely elegant touch to the finished cake!
Equipment You Need
This recipe calls for an electric mixer. You can use a stand mixer to make the batter and a hand mixer with a whisk attachment to make the whipped cream frosting. Then, you will need a saucepan to make the cherry filling. It is also recommended to use a scale to measure your flour accurately. For detailed information on the equipment you need, check the recipe card.
How to Make White Forest Cake
- Preparing the cherry-kirsch filling at least one day in advance is recommended. Before you begin to assemble the cake, let it cool completely. Keep in mind to just bring all the ingredients of the filling to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Allow to cool, then cover and place in the fridge to chill.
- Next, you can make your white chocolate whipped cream frosting. First, melt the white chocolate in the microwave, and whisk the heavy cream with it to combine. You can then cover the mixture with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator to cool as well.
- You can now make the layers of your cake! This cake is made using reverse creaming. It helps to create a light and moist texture. Just mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, add the butter, with the vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla as the following ingredients added to the batter. Lastly, add the egg whites, and you are ready to bake!
- Bake the cake layers in three 6-inch cake pans, or double the recipe to bake three 9-inch cake pans until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each layer comes out clean.
- Once your layers of cake are cool, whip the chilled white chocolate-heavy cream mixture until it reaches stiff peaks. Then you can assemble your cake! Begin with one layer of cake, add some cherry filling, then the whipped cream frosting, and repeat. Finish with the last layer of cake, more whipped cream, and more cherry filling! Then, for an elegant touch, you can add white chocolate shavings.
FAQs and Tips
What’s the difference between white forest cake and vanilla cake?
The white forest cake is made with layers of white cake. It is very similar to regular vanilla cake, but it was made without egg yolks. The cake layers have a brighter white color if you use only egg whites.
What does white forest taste like?
So, what kind of flavors does the white forest cake have? This cake is made with vanilla, white chocolate, sweet cherries, and a little kick from the kirsch. These varied flavors will give you an idea of how this delicious dessert tastes!
Is it possible to double the white forest cake recipe to bake in larger pans?
Yes, you can! You double the batch of this cake to bake them in three 9-inch cake pans. However, check your bake time after 15 minutes, and be careful not to overbake.
What if I don’t have cake flour?
All-purpose flour and cornstarch can be used to make a substitute for cake flour. You can use your kitchen scale to measure out the 164g of all purpose flour, and then sift it together with 24 grams cornstarch. If you don’t own a scale, measure 1 1/2 cups of flour using the spoon-and-level method. Then, take out 3 tablespoons of flour, and add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch. Sift them together, and add the dry ingredients to it as usual.
How do I soften my butter quickly?
You can microwave your butter for quick melting if you are in a hurry. Heat the stick of butter on high for 20 seconds, and make sure to rotate it every few seconds.
What if I don’t have buttermilk?
You can substitute buttermilk with whole milk; just replace 2 tablespoons of the milk with vinegar. You will get the buttermilk’s acidic effect, which will help your white cake layers become more moist and tender.
Which is better Black Forest or White Forest?
This white forest cake recipe is delicious! Consider this: the white chocolate adds a beautiful flavor to this cake, and a fluffy white cake goes well with the cherry filling.
White Forest Cake Recipe Card
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowls
- hand mixer
- stand mixer
- food scale
- rubber spatula
- 3 6-inch round cake pans
- 3 6-inch silicone cake pan liners
- parchment paper
- small saucepan
- offset spatula
- 3 cups pitted dark sweet cherries – fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (kirschwasser) – or brandy, rum, or cognac, or unsweetened cherry juice
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
White Cake Layers
- baking spray
- 1 ½ cup cake flour – sifted; measured using a kitchen scale or with the spoon and level method
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter – room temperature
- 5 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup full-fat buttermilk – room temperature
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites – room temperature
White Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz white baking chocolate – chopped
- 1 tablespoon white chocolate instant pudding mix – optional, to stabilize whipped cream
- shaved white chocolate – for topping
Prepare Cherry-Kirsch Filling
- First, add the filling ingredients into a saucepan. Then, stir to combine.
- You need to add 3 cups of pitted sweet cherries, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of kirsch (kirschwasser), 2/3 cup of granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil while stirring. Then, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Allow to cool, then cover and place in the fridge to chill until you are ready to assemble your cake.
Prepare Cake Layers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Then, line three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper or a silicone liner and grease with baking spray.
- In a large bowl or the stand mixer bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of cake flour, 2/3 cup of granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Next, add butter and mix until the batter looks like coarse crumbs. Add oil to the mixture.
- You need four tablespoons of unsalted butter and 5 teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- Mix in the buttermilk until it’s smooth, then add the vanilla.
- You will need 1/3 cup of full-fat buttermilk and 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
- Leave the mixer to run low speed, and carefully add egg whites, scraping sides as needed. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pans. Then, bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each layer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake layers to cool in their pans for 10 mins, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Prepare White Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- Microwave the chopped white chocolate and 1 cup of heavy cream for 30-second intervals, stirring after every interval. Repeat until the white chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- You will need 4 oz of white chocolate and 2 cups of heavy whipping cream.
- Mix in the remaining cup of heavy cream until it becomes smooth. Then, put it in the refrigerator to chill. You are allowed to do these a day before you bake your cake.
- Once the mixture is chilled, whip it with an electric mixer using the whisk attachment until it becomes fluffy. Add one tablespoon of white chocolate pudding mixture to stabilize the whipped cream frosting.
- Continue whipping the mixture until it forms stiff peaks. Then, use this to frost the cake.
- Place one layer of cake on a parchment-lined turntable or cake stand. Add 1/2 cup of cherry filling to the top, then top it with 2/3 cup of whipped cream frosting. Repeat the steps when working with the second layer.
- On the third layer, top it with more whipped cream frosting and the sides of the cake. If you want, top with more cherry filling and shaved white chocolate.
So, you have learned about the ingredients to make a white forest cake. Now you can make these delicious cakes for your family and friends. The best part is that the cake is really easy to make. The flavors of white chocolate with cherries are always preferred for cakes. Try out this fantastic recipe and enjoy eating it with your friends and family.