Last Updated on September 9, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Ukrainians are well-known for making the best tortes, and Festive Walnut Torte is a classic!
As you can see, torte requires patience and time. However, it is a labor of love, and definitely worth every bit of effort.
This torte recipe is delicious, and you should give it a try. There’s no doubt that you will love it, too!
Go ahead and have some of this decadent Ukrainian Walnut Torte. It is a delicious and satisfying treat.
Festive Walnut Torte Ingredients
- 10 oz. walnuts, finely ground
- 3 Tbs. walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 12 large eggs, separated
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Mocha Frosting1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted (I use Baker’s brand)
- 6 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
- ¾ cup strongly brewed coffee
- 1 ½ Tbs. coffee liqueur (optional
- Coffee Cream Filling2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. instant-coffee granules
- ¼ cup confectioner sugar, sifted
Festive Walnut Torte Instructions
- First, mix the flour, ground walnuts, cornstarch, and baking powder together (dry ingredients mixture).
- Set aside.
- Place the egg whites and salt in a large bowl.
- Then, beat the eggs to stiff peaks, and set aside.
- In another large bowl, add the egg yolks, and beat for 2 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Then, add the granulated sugar. Continue mixing for approximately 5 minutes, until the mixture becomes fluffy and thick.
- Add 2 tsp. of vanilla, and set aside
- Sprinkle the walnut mixture (dry ingredients) over the yolk mixture.
- Next, fold in the egg whites until well combined.
- Line the bottom of two round cake pans with parchment paper. You have to cut out a circle to cover it.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the cake pan.
- Then, preheat the oven to 350°F
- Divide the batter equally between the pans.
- Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the center of the cakes spring back to touch. Or, you can do the toothpick test. The toothpick will come out clean if it’s done baking.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool for five minutes.
- Run a knife around the sides of your pan to loosen the cake.
- You need to invert the cakes onto a wire rack to cool. Then, remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake.
- Let it cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter, vanilla, 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, and chocolate.
- Beat until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the coffee, liqueur, and the rest of the 4 1/2 cups of confectioner sugar.
- Continue beating the mixture until it is fluffy.
- Set aside.
Coffee Cream Filling
- In another medium bowl, mix the heavy cream, instant coffee, and 1/4 cup of confectioner sugar.
- Beat to soft peaks.
- Divide each torte round in half diagonally to make 4 even disks.
- Put one cake disk on a cake platter, with the uncut bottom down.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of mocha frosting on top.
- Add a third of the coffee cream.
- Then, put the second cake disk on top. Repeat with frosting and cream.
- Repeat the previous steps with the third cake disk.
- Put the last cake disk on top, then spread the remaining mocha frosting over the top and sides of the torte.
- Decorate your cake with chopped walnuts.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.