Last Updated on September 12, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
When you’re in the mood for something big, something rich, and something chocolate-y, look no further than our Praline Turtle Cake. It’s the perfect choice if you’re looking for a big chocolate fix. Are you up for it?
The cake is delicious, and it’s very rich! The cake is perfect for any occasion, including celebrations. Or, yes, you just need some chocolate in your day.
You can make this praline turtle cake with our recipe or use one of your own. We have provided instructions on how to make this cake using our recipe below:
Praline Turtle Cake Recipe
It’s the best praline turtle cake you can eat! This is a great choice if you’re looking for a chocolate fix. Are you up for it?
- 1/2 cup(s) butter
- 1 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 can(s) (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup(s) chopped pecans
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 large 2 large eggs
- 1 cup(s) sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) canola oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon(s) white vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) fudge topping
- 1/2 cup(s) chocolate chips, melted
Make the cake
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter two 9-inch round cake pans, and fit a circle of parchment paper big enough to cover an inch up the side of the cake pan.
- Over medium heat, heat the butter, brown sugar, and sweetened condensed milk in a 2-quart saucepan until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolves. Do not let it boil.
- Divide the sugar mixture among the prepared pans.
- Spread 3/4 cup of pecans on top of the sugar mixture and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in the eggs, oil, vinegar, vanilla, sour cream, and 1 cup of hot water. Use a wooden spoon to mix the batter until it is smooth.
- Then, pour the batter in the prepared pans, over the sugar mixture, and bake until a wooden skewer (or toothpick) inserted into the cake center comes out clean. It takes 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Then, run a knife around the edge of the pans, and turn the cakes onto a cooling rack.
- Take out the paper, and allow it to cool completely.
Assemble the cake
- Spread the fudge topping over the sugar mixture side of one layer. Then, add the second layer on top of the first, and drizzle it with melted chocolate and 1/4 cup of pecans you have left.
- Lastly, frost the sides of the cake with your favorite chocolate icing.
While delicious, the Praline Turtle Cake is also very rich. Keep this in mind when making it for a large gathering. Not only does it contain a LOT of chocolate, but it also contains a lot of calories from fat. Of course, that doesn’t mean you should deprive yourself of the deliciousness of this cake; just be sure to cut yourself small slices and savor the flavor.