Last Updated on January 20, 2023 by Share My Kitchen
A wonderfully delicious Spinach Cake paired with mascarpone frosting is fluffy and has a soft vanilla flavor. This cake is perfect for birthday parties or spring and summer celebrations!
It is an elegant green cake, and it is also simple to make. Continue to read to find detailed instructions and helpful tips for making this tasty dessert.
What makes this spinach cake recipe special?
The idea sprung from wanting to make a green cake. Although it was supposed to be Green Velvet Cake, it ended up becoming Spinach Cake.
You might be wondering what the difference is. Green Velvet Cake would have buttermilk and cocoa powder for that special effect. While the Spinach cake, which you are about to make, is a pure vanilla cake with baby spinach leaves, which add moisture and freshness to the cake layers.
This is designed to become the perfect spring cake because it’s light, fluffy and fresh, but most importantly, it’s naturally green.
Spinach Cake Recipe Card
For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- 1 ⅔ cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 4,4 oz (125g) baby spinach, blended
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) olive oil , or other vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) milk
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 2 cups (500g) mascarpone cheese
- ⅞ cup (200 ml) heavy cream, cold
- ⅔ cup (80g) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C. Then, line two 7-inch or 18cm cake pans with parchment paper (cut in a circle). Grease the inside of the pans very well.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Then, mix well and set aside.
- To shred the spinach finely, use a blender or food processor.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl for about 4-5 minutes using an electric mixer, until they are pale and fluffy.
- Add oil, vanilla, and milk little by little, and beat each one until it is all combined.
- Fold the spinach into the batter using a rubber spatula, or the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Add the flour mixture gradually at the end. Then, mix it in at low speed until well combined, or use a spatula gently.
- Divide the batter between your two pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool down to room temperature before cutting and assembling them.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Also, make sure that the cream and mascarpone are both cold.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the batter at high speed until it becomes fluffy. Don’t overbeat!
- With a long, serrated knife, cut the base of the cake horizontally. Put one half of the cake on a serving plate, and spread the frosting generously on top. Repeat this process until you have all the cake bases frosted.
- Then, frost the entire cake with the rest of the frosting. It should be approximately 1/3 of the total amount.
- Before serving, let the cake cool in the refrigerator for at least 4 to 6 hours.
- Decorate with fresh fruits.
Although the preparation of the Spinach Cake can be quite easy, there are a few things you should pay attention to in order to achieve a great outcome.
- To allow air to get into the batter, beat the eggs on the base for several minutes.
- Use a blender to finely shred the spinach. But, you don’t have to make it as fine as puree.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder thoroughly. They can also be sifted together.
- Refrigerating the layers for 3-4 hours or overnight before assembling the cake as this will make it easier to cut and leave less crumbs behind.
- Do not overbeat the frosting. Once it becomes thick and fluffy, stop the mixer.
- The cake can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 to 3 days.
- You don’t have to puree the spinach, but it should be very finely chopped.
- You can substitute baby spinach for regular spinach, provided that any hard stems have been removed.
- Ideally, refrigerate the cake bases overnight while covered with plastic wrap. The layers will be easier to cut as they are less crumbly.
- A layer that was on the bottom of your pan during baking should always be reserved for the top part of your cake.