Last Updated on January 20, 2023 by Share My Kitchen
Today, you will learn how to make flourless Garash Cake with egg whites and walnuts, frosted and covered with chocolate ganache.
Don’t you find holiday baking or baking in general very exciting?
There are many new recipes to try out or retest old ones. You can also try new products, then enjoy all the baked goods!
What Sweetener to Use in this Flourless Garash Cake?
You might be a firm believer in reducing sugar content in baked goods, even if that is only 1/4 cup.
However, you no longer have to be worried because the SPLENDA® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener and SPLENDA® Sugar Blend (which contains Sugar) can now be found at the nearest Walmart.
These are available at the Sugar Aisle.
These products are unique, and you will love baking with them.
These are perfect for baking cakes, such as this Garash Cake, cheesecakes, custards, pies, and cookies. You can enjoy your favorite desserts with no added calories from sugar.
Where did the Garash Cake come from?
This Garash cake recipe is something some of you might remember from your childhood. It’s not something made often, but it is a holiday treat! It’s a Bulgarian recipe and a staple dessert of the country. It is wonderfully light and delicious. The layers of this cake are approximately 5mm thick with chocolate ganache between, which melts in your mouth. It’s easy to make, and it can be brought to any holiday party. Chocolate lovers will be delighted.
However, this is not the original recipe. It has been modified a little to lessen the amount of sugar added to it. Although the original recipe calls for chocolate morsels to make the chocolate ganache, this recipe uses cocoa powder and egg yolks.
This 8-inch cake contains only 2/3 cups of sugar. This is due to the SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend used for the batter and ganache.
As mentioned earlier, there is always a way to reduce the sugar content of baked goods. It’s shocking to see how many calories are associated with added sugar.
Did you know that an average American intakes more than 22 teaspoons of added sugar per day? This is more than triple the recommended daily intake for women and more than double for men.
Garash Cake Recipe Card
Cook time: 40 MINS
Total time: 1 HR
- 9 eggs — egg whites separated from egg yolks
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
- 9 tbsp cocoa powder — (not Dutch-processed)
- 3 cups raw walnuts
- 2/3 cups SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend — divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut for decorating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Use cooking spray to grease an 8-inch pan. Then, line the pan with parchment paper, and spray cooking spray over it. Set aside.
For the cake layers:
- Using a food processor, process walnuts with 1/3 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar until you get fine crumbs.
- Next, beat the egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Fold the walnut sugar mixture into the egg whites carefully. Then, divide the batter into four equal portions. Each cake layer should be baked for 12-15 minutes. Remove each layer carefully from the pan, and peel off the parchment paper. Allow them to cool down to room temperature.
For the chocolate ganache:
- Prepare the ganache while waiting for the layers to cool down.
- Next, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Mix in the cocoa powder, and whisk to incorporate it properly. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Beat egg yolks with 1/3 SPLENDA (r) Brown Sugar Blend using the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for about 3-5 minutes, until it is thick and frothy. Add the cocoa butter mixture to the bowl while beating on low speed. Mix until well combined. Still beating on low, slowly add the heavy cream to your thin ganache. Then, allow it to cool completely.
To assemble the cake:
- Put one layer of cake on a plate, and spread 1/4 cup of the ganache on top. Then, add another layer, and spread 1/4 cup ganache over it. Repeat this process with the other layers. After that, cover the cake with chocolate ganache, and leave it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow it to set.
- The garash cake top can be decorated with chopped walnuts, almonds, or shredded coconut. The original recipe requires some green chopped almonds, but you can use green-colored shredded coconut as a topping.