Last Updated on May 2, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Do you know what great side dish to make to spice up your next meal? These tangy and sweet Hawaiian pickled onions. You only need a few pantry staples to make this delicious condiment.
You can transform a strong, pungent, and sharp-tasting onion into an amazing tangy and sweet treat. And the best part is that this pickled onion recipe requires only a few pantry staples.
Quick pickled onions! This popular condiment works with many dishes like a dream. It can be served alongside Kalbi or Pulehu Steak, or even on top of a Teriyaki Burger.
You can also eat it as is. It’s that good.
Sweet Hawaiian Pickled Onions Recipe
- Granulated sugar. I prefer my pickled onions sweeter. If you don’t like it sweet, you can reduce the amount of sugar. This can be substituted for maple or honey.
- White vinegar. You can also use white or red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, or apple cider vinegar.
- Hawaiian salt. This salt is larger and coarser than the other types. It can be purchased at most grocery stores in Hawai’i or online. Are you not able to find Hawaiian salt? You can choose kosher salt or coarse pink Himalayan salt.
- Sweet Maui onions. These sweet onions lack sulfur, which gives onions a pungent smell and taste. Alternatives include red onions and Walla walla onions.
Hawaiian Pickled OnionVariations
- Spicy. For an extra kick of spice, add some Hawaiian chili peppers.
- You can add more layers of flavor. Go ahead and add some garlic, peppercorns and ogo (seaweed).
How do you make sweet pickled onions?
- In a saucepan set over high heat, add the water, sugar, vinegar, and Hawaiian salt. Bring to a boil, and heat until sugar and salt have dissolved. Allow cooling on the side.
- Slice onions thinly and place them in a container or jar.
- The pickling liquid should be poured over the onions, ensuring that they are completely submerged. Let it cool at room temperature.
- Put the lid on the fridge and place it in the refrigerator.
What is pickling?
Pickling involves immersion in a brine solution or vinegar solution to prolong shelf life by lowering the pH level and killing most bacteria.
How Do You Store Hawaiian Pickled Onions?
Pickled onions can be stored in airtight containers. Glass mason jars are my favorite. These should be kept in the refrigerator.
How long is its shelf life?
Sweet pickled onions will last for several weeks if stored in an airtight container in a refrigerator. When you take some onions out to eat, make sure to use clean utensils.
Are pickled onions safe to freeze?
Pickled onions can be frozen, but I prefer to freeze the onions before pickling and then pickle when ready to eat.
You can also enjoy other great recipes with sweet pickled onions
- Loco moco
- Coffee rubbed pork chops
- Grilled teriyaki chicken chops
- Skillet Steak