Last Updated on May 30, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Who doesn’t love a good chili? If you haven’t been to Hawaii yet, then you probably might not know about Zippy’s. It’s a fast-food chain, spread over the Hawaiian Islands and they serve delicious food. One of their most popular dishes is the Zippy’s Famous Hawaiian Chili and it’s really easy to cook at home. It’s not one of those spicy Chili recipes, so you can cook it for yourself and your family. The days when your children didn’t want to eat veggies are gone because the kids will love this Chili recipe and there are quite a lot of vegetables in it.
How To Make Zippy’s Hawaiian Chili Recipe
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- 450g ground beef
- 140 g mild Portuguese sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 170g tomato paste
- 1 can of pinto beans, drained
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained
- 415ml chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups short-grain white rice (optional)
- First, use a food processor to shred the Portuguese sausage until it has the consistency of ground meat. Also, if you don’t want to cut the onion, celery, and bell pepper by hand, then you can use the food processor to cut them as well.
- Now, take an Instant Pot to saute the cut onion, celery, and bell pepper with a little bit of vegetable oil in it. After that, add the shredded Portuguese sausage and ground beef, then cook everything until it gets a little brown.
- Next, add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic, and saute everything until you get a nice fragrance.
- Turn the heat down, before you add tomato paste, chicken broth, drained beans, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves.
- Before you close the Instant Pot, give your Chili a little stir. After closing it, cook everything at high pressure for about 30 minutes. It might defer on how high the pressure of your Instant Pot is.
- In case you want to serve the Chili with rice, you can cook it, while you are waiting until the chili is done.
- When the 30 minutes are over, release the pressure of the Instant Pot and then open it.
- Now, take out the bay leaves and add 3 tbsp of mayonnaise. Stir everything well together and taste the Chili. Maybe you want to add some salt for a better flavor.
If rice is your choice of side dish, then you can serve Zippy’s Chili over it. Believe me, it makes a really good match. Enjoy this lovely Chili recipe!
Tips and Tricks: Chili Recipe
- You can also use a slow cooker to cook the Hawaiian Chili. If you decide to use that, then you can either saute the vegetables and meat in a skillet and then transfer it to the slow cooker, or you can just put everything in the slow cooker from the very beginning. Turn the slow cooker on high and cook everything for 4-6 hours. Just keep a look on your Chili, because you might have to add some extra liquid.
- Another option is a stove pot. You can just follow the same instructions from the recipe above, but instead of the Instant Pot, you use a deep dutch oven or a pot. The Chili has to simmer for at least 20 minutes, but the longer, the better the flavor will get.
- If you want to have a thinner or thicker consistency of your Chili, then you can vary the amount of chicken broth you put in it. It’s all up to your taste.
- For some of you, it might be hard to find mild Portuguese sausage. In that case, you can try to find it in a Japanese/Asian store, or you can try to use Chinese sausage instead. Another option is, that you can just add some ground pork or ground chicken and some Portuguese spice mixture.