Last Updated on May 27, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
If you’ve ever gone to Primanti Brothers Restaurant and Bar, then you might be familiar with their famous Primanti Brothers coleslaw salad. Let me tell you, it’s the bomb! And if you’re looking for a unique and delicious coleslaw recipe like that one, then you’ve come to the right place. This is a copycat special recipe from Primanti Brothers for their famous slaw. If you didn’t try this coleslaw yet, then you really should, it’s a healthy and tasty variant of coleslaw, that excludes heavy mayonnaise. Even though the ingredients are in contrast, the combination of salt, sugar, vinegar and celery seed really complement each other. So you will get a light, refreshing and divine taste out of this coleslaw recipe.
How To Serve the Coleslaw
Usually, Primanti Brothers Coleslaw is served inside a thickly layered sandwich, together with a load of fried potatoes. That’s what Primanti Bros. stands for. So, if you feel like a sandwich, you can combine it with this delicious coleslaw, and if you want to go crazy, eat it as a topping on a Hot Dog. It will add a unique and special taste to it. Primanti Brothers Coleslaw also works really well as a side dish, especially when you serve it with fish or bbq. Believe me, you won’t regret it.
Primanti Brothers Coleslaw Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 6 cups shredded or finely chopped green cabbage (half of a medium-size head)
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Take a colander and set it over a medium bowl. Then, put the shredded cabbage into the colander and add sugar, salt, and celery seed. Mix everything together and let it rest for 1 to 4 hours. After that amount of time, the cabbage will be wilted and you will have about 4 cups left of it.
- Next, pour out the liquid that has collected in the bowl. Before you transfer the wilted cabbage there, rinse and dry the bowl.
- After you put the wilted cabbage into the bowl, add vegetable oil and apple cider vinegar. As a final step, season it with freshly ground black pepper, mix everything up, cover it, and put it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
- Too lazy to cut the cabbage by hand? Then you can also use a food processor to get a fine cut texture out of it.
- If you already know that you want to eat Primanti Brothers Coleslaw the next day, then you can prepare it a day before and keep it in the fridge overnight. It really adds a good texture and taste to it.