Last Updated on September 30, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Yes, Instant Pot broccoli soup is a thing. This allows you to have delicious, comfort food without any of the guilt of consuming too much. Also, you can make it in a fraction of the time.
It is rich in nutrients and flavor, so it’s a great vegan soup! This wonderful pressure cook soup can be made in no time and is Whole30-friendly.
Vegan Instant Pot Broccoli Soup
Not only is this recipe easy to make and delicious, it also only needs a couple of simple ingredients to make it into a savory soup.
This is a healthy broccoli soup recipe. It doesn’t contain any heavy cream or cheese, so it’s low in calories. It’s reminiscent of cream of broccoli soup but without dairy.
It is perfect for anyone who wants to eat more vegetables. It’s a comfort food filled with flavor that will not make you feel too guilty.
How to Cook Healthy Instant Pot Broccoli Soup
You can easily make this healthy broccoli soup in a pressure cooker.
- Olive oil
- Broccoli crowns
- Vegetable broth or stock
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
How to Make Instant Pot Broccoli Soup
Be sure to cut your broccoli crowns before you start. It is recommended to use broccoli crowns since you don’t get as many stems.
You will need around 1.5 to 2 pounds of broccoli crowns.
Chop the broccoli into florets coarsely. However, don’t toss any stems that you have. These can be cut into coins-like shapes and added to the soup.
First, sauté some onions with some olive oil using the sauté function of an Instant Pot.
Once the vegetables are translucent and starting to soften, add your chopped broccoli. Then, add the broth or stock and black pepper.
3. Pressure Cook
Lock the lid on top and set the cooking time for 3 minutes at high pressure. After the cooking time has ended, you do a quick release of the pressure.
You can use your immersion blender to achieve the desired consistency. If necessary, you can add salt to taste.
The soup becomes creamy because it has been pureed. However, again, there’s no cream! You can add a splash of coconut milk if you wish.
Instant Pot broccoli soup can be enjoyed as is. However, you can add red pepper flakes, vegan croutons, or even some shredded cheese if you don’t want it vegan.
For a deliciously simple meal, you could serve it with homemade dinner rolls or in a bread bowl.
- It is okay if you use frozen broccoli, but it is recommended to use fresh ones.
- The quality of the ingredients is more important than ever because there are so few. So, make sure you choose a delicious vegetable stock or broth.
- Salt is not added to this recipe. However, you may adjust it as you need depending on the saltiness of the stock/broth. You can wait until afterward to taste, then decide if you need to add salt.
- You can reduce the broth to 4-5 cups if you prefer a thicker soup.
- Use chicken broth as a substitute for vegetable broth if you do not need the recipe to be vegan.
- This broccoli soup recipe is compatible with the Instant Pot Ace Blender. However, to avoid overfilling your blender, you’ll likely have to reduce the recipe by half.
Instant Pot Broccoli Soup Recipe Card
- Instant Pot
- Immersion blender
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 crowns of broccoli (approx. 1.5-2 lbs), roughly chopped into florets (slice any stems into thin coin-like rounds)
- 6 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Optional: Red pepper flakes to taste, as garnish
- In an Instant Pot’s insert pot, add olive oil and onions. Then, use the Sauté function to cook the onions until they become soft and translucent.
- Add vegetable broth/stock and broccoli to the insert pot with black pepper.
- Press Cancel/Keep Warm to turn off the Sauté function. Secure the lid in place and set the vent to the sealed position.
- Then, press the Manual/Pressure Cook function, and set it for a 3-minute cook time at high pressure.
- After the cook time is completed, do a quick release of the pressure by gently turning the vent to the open position.
- Once the valve is open and pressure has subsided, please carefully remove the lid.
- Blend contents using an immersion blender until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Then, add salt to taste. If you want, you can add a few red pepper flakes for garnish.
You can also make this recipe on the stovetop if you don’t own an Instant Pot. In a stockpot, cook onions in oil over medium-high heat until it is soft and translucent. Then, add the broccoli and broth and bring to a boil. Cover the stockpot and cook until the broccoli is tender. To achieve the desired consistency, you may use an immersion blender. Salt and pepper can be added to add taste. If you prefer, you can also add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to your dish.