Last Updated on October 1, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Are you having friends over for a casual party and want to whip up something delicious in record time? Forget the takeout. With your trusty Instant Pot, you can whip up this Instant Pot potato corn chowder in less than 20 minutes! The chowder is creamy and delicious thanks to the heavy cream and cornstarch.
This Instant Pot potato corn chowder is particularly remarkable because it’s easy to add everything into the insert and let it cook while you do other things. There’s no need to supervise a hot pan on the stove.
How to Cook Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder
Ingredients You Need
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth: This recipe was tested using low-sodium chicken broth. Of course, regular chicken broth can be used, but you might not need an additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt. You can taste the broth and adjust the salt to suit your tastes.
- Red Potatoes: Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch cubes. The potatoes shouldn’t be too large, or they won’t cook within the time allowed.
- Frozen Corn: It is recommended for you to use gold n’ white corn for this recipe. But you can also use yellow corn or white corn.
- Yellow or White Onion
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic: You can either mince/press a few fresh garlic cloves, or you can use the chopped garlic from a jar. Or some garlic paste in the tube.
- Heavy Cream: Potato corn chowder should be made with heavy cream. It adds creaminess and richness to the dish, which is simply delicious. If you want, you can also use half and half.
- Shredded Cheese: Use either Colby-Jack or cheddar cheese.
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder Recipe Card
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen corn (I love the gold n’ white corn)
- 2 ½ cups peeled, chopped small red potatoes (about 3 large potatoes, chop small ½-inch)
- 1 yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Colby-jack cheese (or more to taste)
- bacon bits, shredded cheese, green onions (optional toppings)
- In the Instant Pot’s insert, add the chicken broth, frozen corn, chopped potatoes, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir the ingredients together. Cover using the lid and set the valve into the sealing position. Select the ‘manual’ setting and adjust the pressure to high. Then, set the timer to run for 15 minutes.
- After the cooking time has elapsed, do a quick release. Move the valve to the venting position in order to release the pressure.
- Then, choose the sauté setting, and adjust to low heat (if your Instant Pot has this function). Combine heavy cream and cornstarch, then pour the mixture into the chowder. Cook and stir for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Next, stir in the shredded cheese. Turn off the sauté mode and serve!
- You may serve your potato corn chowder with chopped bacon or bacon bits, shredded cheese, and green onions.