Last Updated on October 20, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Sweet Onion Turkey Cheddar Pie has quickly become a favorite recipe to make with leftover Thanksgiving turkey. You’ll be a fan after just one bite of this delicious, easy-to-make pie!
How to Make Sweet Onion Turkey Cheddar Pie
The Sweet Onion Turkey Cheese Cheddar Pie begins with a large amount of caramelized Vidalia onions. These onions are then combined with shredded cooked turkey, eggs, and a mixture of seasonings such as salt and pepper, dry mustard, fresh nutmeg, and Worcestershire sauce. This pie can be added for an additional touch of bright flavor, and it reduces the richness of the pie.
Your onion-turkey filling is spread into a buttery, saltine cracker crust. Then, sprinkle it with shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese on top, and the pie is baked in the oven until it sets. The top of this wonderful savory pie is golden brown after a few minutes under the broiler.
This pie could be described as a mix between a quiche and a pot pie, although you won’t really notice the eggs included in the filling since it is loaded with sweet onions and turkey. With a side salad of fresh greens, this Sweet Onion Turkey Cheese Cheddar Pie is a perfect lunch or dinner option. After Thanksgiving, you will be riddled with what to do with the leftovers. But this Sweet Onion Turkey Cheese Cheddar Pie can now be on your top list!
These other sweet onion recipes might be of interest to you:
- Creamed Vidalia Onions in Pastry
- French Onion Soup
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Pearl Onions in Cream Sauce
Sweet Onion Turkey Pie Recipe Card
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
|Total Time||1 hour 5 minutes|
- 8 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1 ½ pounds sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut in half then into half-moon slices
- 1 ¾ cup crushed saltine crackers
- 4 whole eggs beaten
- 1 cup half & half
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Few grinds fresh nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Few shakes Worcestershire sauce
- Few shakes Tabasco sauce
- 1 ½ cups cooked turkey cut into pieces
- 4-ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded on large holes of a box grater (we like Cracker Barrel’s Extra Sharp NY Cheddar)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put 4 tablespoons of melted butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for approximately ten minutes, until the onions are softened and caramelized. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the remaining melted butter and the crushed saltine crackers together.
- Spray a 10-inch pie plate, and then press the buttered cracker into the bottom and up the sides. Keep the mixture in the refrigerator until you need it later in this recipe.
- Beat the eggs with the half & half, salt, pepper, nutmeg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce in a medium bowl. Then, set aside.
- Take the prepared pie plate out of the refrigerator and cover it with a layer of cooked onions, then cooked turkey. Next, pour the egg mixture, and, lastly, top it off with the shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until set. After that, brown the pie under the broiler for about a minute, and then serve.