Last Updated on August 7, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
This copycat recipe for Panda Express Glazed Lemon Chicken will make it a fun, family food night. These inexpensive Chinese recipes are available for you to make in the comfort of your home. You can also get Chinese takeout boxes at the supermarket and host a picnic. This will add another fun twist to your meal!
It is fun to try a flavor swap, and create a mildly Asian-inspired glazed lemon chicken for everyone to love. However, this isn’t the same as the cloyingly sweet chicken you find in Chinese restaurants. Although there is a touch of sweetness, it is balanced out by the tart, slightly acidic lemons used in this recipe.
Panda Express Glazed Lemon Chicken
This is a recipe you will enjoy. Here’s how to make Glazed Lemon Chicken:
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use + vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided use
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Glazed Lemon Chicken Sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- First, combine egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Then add 1 tablespoon of oil. Make sure to mix well. Add in the chicken pieces.
- Mix flour and 1/2 cup of cornstarch and half a cup of water in a medium bowl. Then, toss in the chicken pieces to coat them.
- Heat oil to 375°F in a wok or deep fryer for deep frying.
- Fry the chicken in small batches for 4 to 5 minutes, until they are crispy golden. However, avoid overcooking the chicken. Once they are cooked, remove them from the oil using tongs and drain them on paper towels.
- Next, clean the wok and heat for 15 seconds on high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the reserved 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add in the ginger and garlic, and stir fry until they are aromatic. It takes approximately 10 seconds
- Then, mix in the red pepper flakes, green onions, and rice wine. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add the lemon sauce, and bring it to a boil. Stir in the cooked chicken and continue to stir until everything is well combined.
- Stir the reserved 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water, and then add it to the chicken. Heat it until the sauce thickens.
- Finally, remove from the heat and add the sesame oil. Serve your homemade Glazed Lemon Chicken immediately.