Last Updated on May 2, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
How To Make Healthy Beef and Broccoli In A Pressure Cooker
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Cook Time 55 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 pounds (750g) well-marbled chuck roast steak, 2 inches thick
- 1 head (383g) broccoli, chopped into large florets
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly minced
- 1 tablespoon (15g) ginger, roughly diced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) peanut oil
- Black pepper, salt, and brown sugar to taste
- Chicken Stock Mixture
- 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) dark soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon (7.5ml) oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
2 – 3 tablespoons cold water + 2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
Instructions To Make Beef Broccoli In An Instant Pot
Prepare Pressure Cooker
Heat up your pressure cooker over medium-high heat (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click Adjust button to go to Sauté More function). Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT).
While the pressure cooker is heating up, you can prepare the ingredients as indicated. You should have about 24 mins including the time for browning the chuck steak.
Cook Beef In The Instant Pot
- Brown Chuck Steak: Season one side of chuck steak lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add 1 tbsp (15ml) peanut oil in the pressure cooker.
- Ensure to coat oil over the whole bottom of the pot.
- Carefully place the seasoned side of chuck steak in the pressure cooker.
- Lightly season the other side with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Brown for 7 mins on each side without constant turning. Remove and set aside on a chopping board.
How To Make The Mixture?
- Make Chicken Stock Mixture: While the chuck steak is browning in pressure cooker, mix 2 tbsp (30ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) dark soy sauce, ½ tbsp (7.5ml) oyster sauce, 1 tsp five-spice powder, ¼ tsp sesame oil, and 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock in a glass measuring cup.
- Sauté Ginger & Garlic: Add diced ginger and minced garlic to the pressure cooker. Sauté for roughly 90 seconds until fragrant. Do not let the garlic burn.
- Deglaze: Pour in the Chicken Stock Mixture and completely deglaze the bottom of the pot by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat briefly to cut the chuck steak.
- Cut Chuck Steak: After deglazing, cut the chuck steak into ⅛ inch thick beef slices. Since chuck roast grains run in different directions, slice it against the grain the best you can. Place beef slices and the flavorful meat juice in the pressure cooker. Make sure all beef slices are partially submerged in the cooking liquid.
Serve With Rice, Optional Step
How To Make Pot-in-Pot Rice?
- Layer a stainless steel bowl filled with 1 cup (230g) of Jasmine rice on top of a steamer rack. Add 1 cup (250ml) cold water in the rice bowl. Make sure all the rice is covered with water.
- Pressure Cook Beef Slices: Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes + 12 minutes Natural Release (after pressure cooker has finished cooking, wait 12 minutes then carefully release the remaining pressure). Turn off the heat. Open the lid carefully.
Thicken Sauce: Press Cancel button, then Sauté button to heat up the sauce. In a small mixing bowl, mix cornstarch with water. Mix it in one-third at a time until the desired thickness.