Last Updated on May 2, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Do you want to make the best rotisserie whole chicken in the instant pot? In this post, I’ll guide you on how to cook a whole chicken in an instant pot that is so juicy and tender! It is so quick and easy. My whole family loved this recipe and your family will too!
- 1 5.5 lb whole chicken
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 tsp smoky paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil (divided)
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
How To Make Instant Pot Whole Chicken
Prepare the Chicken
- Stir salt, paprika, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder and ground black pepper together.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave. Mix about 1/2 of the coconut oil with the dry seasonings to make a thick slurry.
- Clean out the chicken. Rub slurry on the outside of the chicken, coating well.
- Stuff cavity with quartered onion and lemon (as much as can fit)
Prepare The Instant Pot
- Turn Instant pot on Sautee mode (medium heat) and add remaining coconut oil.
- Once the pot displays hot, start browning the whole chicken in the pan, about 7 minutes on each side.
- Press Cancel
Put The Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
Take chicken out of pan using a tong and spatula and add rack and 1 can of chicken broth. Place chicken back in the pot on the rack, breast side up. Close pot lid, make sure the valve is set to SEALING (I misspoke on the video and said venting) and set to manual mode for 28 minutes. If your pot displays pressure level make sure it reads ‘more’.
After the 28 minutes are up and your instant pot beeps when complete, leave the chicken under pressure for an additional 15 to 20 minutes (NPR) Then, do a quick release to remove the rest of the pressure. When the lock pin drops, carefully remove the lid and remove the chicken using two pot holders and lifting the chicken by the rack handles.
How to make the best gravy for instant pot chicken?
To make the gravy, press cancel on your instant pot, then press saute mode. Using a small whisk, add two Tbsp of cornstarch with two Tbsp of cold water until smooth. Add to instant pot and simmer, stirring continuously until the gravy thickens. Turn off the instant pot and remove the gravy.
I hope you enjoyed this post and recipe!