Last Updated on July 11, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
We should not take the term “life-changing” lightly, although this Instant Pot green rice porridge does qualify. Making porridge in this manner is an easy and nutritious method to do so. It’s also known as rice porridge or congee. There’s a lot of spinach in this dish—many of it. Your body will thank you if you eat enough spinach.
Using an Instant Pot is ideal for making this porridge. You may also use a saucepan with a thick bottom on the stovetop. This method, however, requires more supervision. You start making this congee by placing your rice in the pot. Then, add water or broth, move on with your day, and begin thinking about toppings.
Toppings for Your Green Rice Porridge
You can try lime, crushed kale chips and toasted nori, pumpkin seeds (or pepitas), hemp seeds, and jungle peanuts. There is also the option of having thinly sliced tofu drizzled with shoyu and placed over the porridge. You may also add sriracha sauce to the entire dish, or not.
Getting the Rice Porridge Perfectly
There is an excellent white and brown rice ratio, and you will see it here in this recipe. It is one part white jasmine rice and two parts brown jasmine rice. Optionally, you can add 1/4 cup of quick-cooking grains or pulses to the rice mixture, such as French lentils, adzuki beans, Job’s tears, etc. Or, you can leave it as is.
You can use the following recipe and ratio as a starting point. Next time, you may add some chopped herbs or use a different broth instead of water. If you prefer, add a bit of quinoa to spike the rice mixture.
This rice porridge is delicious! It’s healthy, nutritious, and green. It’s easy to make, and it uses whole foods. It’s also perfect for eating at any time of the day. It is one pan magic. And this is the ideal canvas for using your favorite toppings.
If you don’t own an Instant Pot, you can make this recipe on the stovetop. Mix all ingredients in a large thick-bottomed pot, and bring to a simmer. Then, cook over low-medium heat until you get a loose porridge. You may use GF tamari or soy sauce to make this recipe gluten-free. Also, you can add a combination of chopped spinach and arugula.
Instant Pot Green Rice Porridge Recipe
|1 hr 30 mins
|1 hr 35 mins
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup white jasmine rice
- 9 cups water or mushroom broth
- 1 teaspoon acceptable grain sea salt
- 1/4 pound+ chopped spinach
- 6 chlorella tablets, crushed in m+p (optional boost!)
- (optional) 1/4 cup of other quick-cooking grains: quinoa, millet, french lentils, Job’s tears, etc.
- Toppings pictured: lime, crushed kale chips, toasted nori, toasted pepitas, hemp seeds, and jungle peanuts. The tofu is sliced thinly and drizzled with shoyu
- In an Instant Pot or multi-cooker, combine the rice (and any added grains), water, and salt. Secure the lid, and set the pressure release valve to SEALING. Press the MANUAL button, and set the time for 30 minutes at high pressure. Allow the pressure NATURAL RELEASE for 30 to 40 minutes. Then, tap or shake the pressure cooker gently and carefully open it away from you. You can add more broth or hot water if you prefer the consistency thinner. And stir in the spinach and green powder if you are using some.
- Add any toppings you prefer when you serve the congee. You can use as many or as few as you wish!
- For reference, the Instant Pot used for this recipe is the Instant Pot DUO Plus 6 Qt 9-in-1.