Last Updated on May 2, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
You might be wondering if it is possible to keep the McDonald’s fries you ate and reheat them later. This article will show you the results of a McDonald’s fries reheating experiment.
Similar to our previous article on reheating roasted potatoes, here we’ll show you the method of reheating – and this time we’re using the good-old McDonald fries.
How To Reheat McDonald’s Fries At Home?
To reheat McDonald’s fries at home, you’ll need a microwave and air fryer. Cover the fries with a damp towel and microwave them for 10 seconds. Then, place the fries in an air fryer at 350°F (180°C) for 20-30 seconds to re-crisp them. Alternatively, you can use a broiler or dry skillet to get your fries crispy again.
How did this experiment turn out?
Honestly, none of the methods attempted were particularly very good.
They have lost their distinctive taste, and none of the methods can get their original crispiness. It was very difficult to achieve the right texture. The fries ended up slightly soggy or slightly dry.
The secret on How To Reheat day-old french fries
However, if you want to reheat Mcdonald’s French Fries at home, the trick is to first re-moisturize the fries. Then, heat them up with dry heat until the outside is crisp.
You can do it in a number of ways, as explained below.
The Best Ways to Reheat McDonald’s Fries
Begin by remoisturizing the McDonald’s fries before you heat them is key to success.
How To re-moisturize your fries:
- Microwave the fries covered with a damp paper towel.
- Sprinkle the fries with water, then bake them covered with foil.
- Heat the fries in a pan with a little water and a lid.
How To Get the Fries Crispy:
- Air fry the fries.
- Heat your fries under the broiler.
- Heat the fries in the oven, without cover.
- Fry the fries in a pan with oil.
You can combine these techniques however you like, but here are some suggestions.
Common Combinations on Reheating McDonald French Fries At Home
- Remoisturize: microwave the fries and place a damp paper towel on top.
- Crisp: heat the fries in a broiler or air fryer.
- Remoisturize: you can sprinkle your fries with water, and put in the over covered with foil.
- Crisp: uncover and heat the fries in the oven or under the broiler.
- Remoisturize: heat the fries in a pan with a few drops of water and a lid.
- Crisp: fry the fries in a dry pan with a little oil.
However, based on results, the microwave is the best choice. Then, followed by the air fryer or broiler. The microwave steams French fries, while the air fryer gives them their crunch again.
Reheating McDonald’s French Fries Using an Oven
Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and place a baking tray in it. Then, place the fries on a baking tray and sprinkle a little water over them. Cover it with foil. Next, heat the covered fries for 2 to 3 minutes, then uncover them for the final 1-2 minutes.
For this experiment, a toaster oven is used. However, similar results can be achieved with larger convection ovens.
But if what you own is not a convection oven, it is recommended to use a higher temperature (450°F or 230°C).
How to reheat McDonald’s French fries using an oven:
- First, preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C (450°F or 230°C if you do not own a convection oven). While the oven is preheating, place the baking tray into it.
- Place your French fries on a baking tray or on a sheet of foil with ridges.
- Add a few drops of water to the French fries, then cover with foil.
- Heat the fries for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, uncover the fries and drizzle a little bit of oil. Shake them around if you are using a baking sheet.
- Continue heating the fries for another 2-3 minutes, until they are crisp enough to your liking.
French fries crisp up better when baked on a hot tray.
Foil can then be used to cover the fries to keep them moist. The skin of the fries will crisp up if you remove the foil near the end. However, it may not be the best option to get the crispiest skin.
Moreover, take it easy with the water. You only need a few drops.
You won’t be able to crisp up the fries if you add too much water.
If crisp skin is more important than a moist inside, then skip foiling and watering the fries. Instead, heat the fries uncovered for about 3 to 5 minutes.
The fries will become crispier and drier the longer they are heated.
A ridged foil acts like a wire rack, so the fries will crisp evenly from all angles. You don’t even have to open your oven to turn them.
It has also been heated at 350°F (180°C), but the fries came out dryer because they were left in the oven longer.
If you prefer moist fries, the ones reheated straight in an oven is not a good choice. The fries come out too dry and difficult to eat.
Although the foil method makes this option better, it still isn’t great.
However, if you have a lot of fries to reheat, the oven is probably the best option. You don’t have to cook them in batches.
Reheating McDonald’s French Fries Using the Microwave
Lay out the McDonald’s fries on a microwave-safe plate, and heat them for 20-30 seconds. You will get slightly soggy, but still edible fries. Wrap the fries in a damp paper towel and heat them in the microwave. Then, crisp them in the air fryer or under the broiler.
Rating: 5/10 for straight microwaving; 7/10 with a damp paper towel and crisping.
This method is for people who want to keep their French fries soft.
How to reheat Mcdonald’s French fries using a microwave:
- Lay out your fries on a microwave-safe plate, so that they are in one layer.
- Set the microwave on high, and heat the fries for 20-30 seconds.
- Allow the fries to rest for a while before you serve them.
Optional (but recommended) steps:
- Before you place your fries in the microwave, cover them with a damp paper towel.
- Next, crisp up the fries by placing them under the broiler or in the air fryer for 30-60 seconds after microwaving them. You may also use a chef’s torch if you own one. The flame gave the fries a slightly charred taste, making it pretty tasty.
The microwave moisturizes the French fries, and keeps them soft inside. But, unfortunately, the outside will not crisp up.
The fries are steamed with a damp towel, and gives them not only the moistest, but also the soggiest results.
The French fries are too watery if eaten straight out of the microwave. Therefore, you should only use this technique if you are going to crisp them up afterwards.
Fries reheated using a microwave are surprisingly still enjoyable. However, they didn’t have much (or any) crunchiness. It was more like having a potato than a dried-out shell.
The French fries were still soft and moist when served.
This was even more true when a damp towel is used. And since the fries were moist, the crisping process didn’t completely dry them. Although, they weren’t the crispiest fries.
Reheating Mcdonald’s French Fries Using an Air Fryer
You can reheat Mcdonald’s French fries using an air fryer set to 400°F (200°C). Just place the fries in a basket, then drizzle them lightly with oil and heat them for about 1 to 2 minutes. You may also cover them with a damp paper towel and microwave for 20 seconds to get more moist fries. Then, crisp them in an air fryer.
Rating: 6/10 (7/10 for pre-microwaving).
Air fryers produce the crispiest fries, but they can also dry them.
How to reheat Mcdonald’s French fries using an air fryer:
- First, set the air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Lightly drizzle your fries with oil (optional).
- Next, place the fries in a basket and arrange them so that they are as evenly distributed as possible.
- Fry the fries for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then allow it to rest for 30 seconds before you serve it.
Adding some oil is optional. The fries will have some oil residue from the first cooking, and this allows them to crisp up in the air fryer.
However, a little oil can help to bring back the fries’ “just-fried” taste.
The coating just has to be extremely light. Otherwise, the fries may become too saturated.
Moreover, do not overcrowd your air fryer. This will result with fries that did not crisp properly.
You can reheat in batches if you have a lot of leftover fries.
The fries reheated using an air fryer are delicious and crispy. However, as expected, they are dry. The good news is that it is not as dry as the ones reheated in an oven.
You may be able to lessen the dryness using a microwave before reheating them in the air fryer.
Reheating McDonald’s French Fries Using a Skillet
In order to reheat your Mcdonald’s French fries with a skillet, heat it on medium-high heat and lay out the fries in a single layer. Next, add a few drops of water to the fries and cover the pan with a lid. Let it heat up for 30 seconds. Then add a bit of oil and fry the fries until they are crispy.
The fries stay soft and moist thanks to the water, while the frying makes them crispy.
How to reheat McDonald’s French fries using a skillet:
- Start by heating a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
- Arrange your French fries in a single layer.
- Then sprinkle some water on top of the fries.
- Place the lid on the pan and let the fries steam for about 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, take the lid off.
- Drizzle oil lightly on the fries. (optional)
- Then fry the French fries until they are crispy.
- Allow them to rest for 30 seconds before serving.
Steps 3 through 5 help to moisten the fries and keep them soft inside.
But you can skip this step if you don’t care about the inside, but prefer a crispy outer layer.
Remember not to add too much oil. If you do, fries can easily get oversaturated. It is recommended only drizzling a little to your French fries since it adds flavor and texture.
Using the skillet was fine. However, it wasn’t still perfect like the other methods. The fries were comparable to oven fries.
Be careful not to add too much water to the fry pan. Otherwise, they will become too soggy. You only need a few drops.
Reheating Old French Fries Through Deep-frying
In order to reheat your Mcdonald’s French fries using a deep fryer, start by heating the oil to 350°F (180°C). Then, submerge the fries in the fryer. You can work in batches to make sure that you don’t overload the fryer. Keep in mind that salt on fries can reduce the oil’s smoke point and accelerate degradation.
This is a complicated method that produces average results. It is not highly recommended.
How to reheat Mcdonald’s French fries in a deep fryer:
- Heat a saucepan or deep fat fryer full of oil until it reaches 350°F (180°C).
- You can then add the French fries one handful at a time.
- The fries should be heated for between 10 to 20 seconds before you remove them from the oil.
- Allow the French fries to rest on a towel for one minute before you serve them.
Salt and oil are not compatible. This is unfortunate since Mcdonald’s French fries come pre-salted unless the customer asks for it without salt.
Adding salt to your oil will accelerate oil degradation. Therefore, you’ll need to get rid of it sooner.
It is not ideal.
It is important to maintain the oil temperature. So, it is not recommended that you try to wing it. Make sure to use a dedicated deep fat fryer or an accurate cooking thermometer.
The oil should not be too cold. Otherwise, the fries will absorb it all and become soggy.
On the other hand, the fries will burn if it’s too hot.
This is frankly not a recommended method.
It took a lot of effort and time to heat the oil to the correct temperature. But if you have a deep-fat fryer, it is easier. Despite all that, the results were still mediocre at best. Moreover, the issue of the salt that can ruin your oil.
Although the fries were crisp and not too dry, they tasted oily.
It’s too much effort, not enough reward.
Use a Waffle Maker and Create Waffle Fries
You can always reinvent your French fries if you don’t like the way they are or if you feel they’re too old to be enjoyed.
You can always find a way to spice it up as long as it’s safe to eat.
But one of the best ways to use fries is to make them into a crisp, cheesy waffle.
How to make a McDonald’s french fry waffle:
- First, preheat your waffle maker as per the directions.
- Place your fries in the waffle maker and close the lid tightly.
- Then allow the fries to crisp up for between 8 to 10 minutes.
- You can open the lid of the waffle maker to add cheese to the fries. (optional)
- Close the lid for 2 to 3 seconds, again, to melt the cheese.
- Serve the waffle with your preferred sauce.
Don’t worry, you can make waffles without a waffle maker. You can get the same crispy waffle with a George Foreman grill or toastie maker, but your fries may not stay together as well.
Other things to do with leftover french fries
Here are some other ways to use up Mcdonald’s leftover French fries:
- Repurpose any leftover fries to make hash browns or tater tots.
- Fries are a great addition to breakfast burritos
- Fries can be added to an omelet or frittata.
- You can make poutine or other loaded fries dishes. You may try the bacon, cheese and jalapenos combination. It is even better if you fry the fries in bacon grease for just a few seconds.
How to store leftover McDonald’s French fries
Your leftover McDonald’s fries can be kept in the refrigerator. After the fries are at room temperature, place them in an airtight container lined with a paper towel. Make sure to keep the fries in one layer, and separate each layer with a paper towel. However, the fries should be consumed as soon as possible, and within 4 days.
The paper towel absorbs excess moisture and prevents the fries from getting too soggy.
Make sure they are at room temperature before you place them in a container. Or else, condensation can build up and cause your fries to become soggy.
French fries, particularly fast-food fries from McDonald’s or Five Guys, cannot be stored well.
It is always best to eat them the same day, or the next day.
They lose their quality every day that they are stored. It will also be harder to reheat them to their original glory.