Last Updated on July 6, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Beef bone broth, particularly homemade beef broth, is very easy to make. This is especially true if you decide to use this classic recipe for beef stock. You don’t have to buy a beef base in order to make good beef stock, just like you don’t need those granules of chicken bouillon to make chicken stock. This beef stock recipe can be made with just a few simple ingredients: soup bones and vegetable scraps. You can easily whip this up on a lazy Saturday at home.
It’s true that a lot of people use chicken bone broth most of the time at home. However, they do occasionally make beef stock. The beef soup bones are usually found in small paper boxes from the meat CSA, or at no cost at the farmers’ market. For this recipe, you can use those beef bone soup bones with some leftover vegetable scraps, such as the ends of onions, carrot peelings, and celery leaves. These ingredients make this recipe incredibly affordable.
The long cooking time gives enough chance for the nutrients found in beef soup bones to leach out of them and into the water. This makes the beef stock rich in nutrients, especially calcium. It also contains gelatin and glucosamine-chondroitin.
This homemade beef bone broth will have a deep, rich flavor if the bones are roasted in advance.
Beef Bone Broth Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Servings|
|1 hr||12 hrs||12 hrs||8 (2 quartz)|
Ingredients for Beef Bone Broth
- 5 pounds of beef soup bones
- 12 cups water
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 bay leafs
Instructions for Making the Broth
- First, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roast the bones for approximately an hour, until they are fragrant and well-browned. Then, get rid of any excess fat.
- Put the roasted bones in a large pot, then pour the red wine and water. Add the bay leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, and immediately reduce heat to low. Allow the bones to simmer for 12-14 hours. Also, keep in mind to skim off any foam that rises to the surface while the broth cooks.
- Strain the stock. Then, you can either serve it immediately or pour it into jars. Seal it tightly, and keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week.