Last Updated on May 2, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Sushi summer rolls make a flavorful appetizer. You can enjoy this as a light lunch, or dinner.
This healthy recipe is a combination of Japanese sushi and Vietnamese summer rolls. With these fresh recipes, we can create a delicious blend. It is worth the try, as an appetizer to our Japanese Chicken Onigiri.
This recipe uses rice paper or tapioca paper. For those not aware, tapioca paper and rice paper are the same ingredients. These translucent sheets are made using tapioca flour and rice flour. In their regular state, these wrappers are similar in texture to thin cardboard. Although, rice paper softens and is easier to use when it is soaked in warm water.
How To Make Fresh Summer Sushi Rolls
- Prep Time 12 minutes
- Cook Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 17 minutes
- Servings 4
- 4 pieces rice paper or tapioca
- 1 piece avocado sliced lengthwise
- 1 piece cucumber cut into long thin strips
- 1 piece medium-sized carrots cut into long thin strips
- 4 leaf lettuce was cleaned
- 8 large shrimps, cooked and butterfly sliced in one piece
- 4 pieces imitation crab meat or crab sticks
- 2 cups warm water
- Put water in a large bowl. Then, let the tapioca paper sit until it becomes soft.
- Place the softened tapioca paper on a kitchen towel and allow it to rest for half an minute.
- Place two shrimps in the middle of the softened tapioca paper. The shrimp’s outer side should face down.
- Place a leaf of lettuce over the shrimp, then add slices of avocado, carrots, cucumber and imitation crab meat on top.
- Use your fingers to press down the filling. Then fold the bottom edge of the tapioca paper over the top. Roll it halfway.
- Carefully, fold the edges of the tapioca papers inward, then continue rolling until you have secured the filling. Remember that the ends are folded to close both edges and properly wrap the filling.
- Each roll can be cut in half and then transferred to a serving plate.
- Serve with your favorite dip
If you liked this recipe, make sure you also try our Japanese Hojicha Latte recipe!