Last Updated on September 22, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Sun-dried tomatoes can be used in butter or a spread to have concentrated tomato flavor during the winter. You can dry your own tomatoes or buy store-bought. To make tomato butter, mince the sun-dried tomatoes. Then, add them to softened butter. It’s easy and delicious!
Sun-dried Tomato Butter
Butters with herbs or grated citrus added to them are called compound butters. So, when you mix finely minced “sun-dried” tomatoes with softened butter, it is a different tasty form of compound butter.
This tomato butter has the advantage of being easy to freeze, and it can be used to enhance any dish or recipe all winter.
All you need to do is to whip softened butter until it becomes smooth and fluffy, then add minced or puréed sun-dried tomatoes. This is the basic way to make this. Many cooks add minced garlic and fresh herbs to their butter, along with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
What Do You Serve With Tomato Butter
Tomato butter can enhance a lot, A LOT, of dishes. However, these are some of the best:
- As a salmon topping (smothered salmon)
- Stir in any Italian pasta sauce
- Melt over some Romano beans, or any other vegetable
- Spread on crackers and rustic breads
- Stir into scrambled egg
- Spread on sandwiches
- Use it as a condiment on a cheese platter
- Added into low-carb spaghetti squash
Spreads Using Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Sun-dried tomatoes can be rehydrated and blended with many different bases to make delicious spreads. When drying your own tomatoes, the key to great flavor is to choose a meaty variety with a balanced sugar-to-acid ratio.
Principe Borghese, an Italian variety, is the best for drying because it is small, meaty, and with a balanced flavor. These tomatoes can be cut in half and dried in a food dehydrator!
Some More Ideas In Using Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Rehydrate and mince your sun-dried tomatoes, then add capers, garlic, and some herbs with a bit of olive and vinegar. This is perfect with crackers and goat cheese.
- Mix the rehydrated, minced tomatoes into a white bean purée with some rosemary, olive oil, and lemon juice. Serve with pita bread.
- You can also blend it with hummus, then serve with fresh vegetables.
Sun-dried Tomato Butter Recipe Card
- 2 Sticks Butter Salted or unsalted (add your own amount of salt if using unsalted); softened
- ⅓ Cup Sun-dried tomatoes; rehydrated and minced
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme; or your favorite herb (basil, oregano, dill, etc.)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic; Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice; Fresh
- First, unwrap the butter and leave it on the counter until it reaches room temperature.
- In warm water, rehydrate dried tomatoes until soft. Then, use a knife to mince.
- Mince your garlic and herbs.
- Blend, or whip, all ingredients together (butter through the lemon juice), and season with salt if you are using unsalted butter.
- You can then either refrigerate or use them as you go. Or you can roll the butter into logs, wrap in wax paper, and freeze. Then, you can cut off the “coins” and use them during Winter to make your dishes better.