Last Updated on January 19, 2023 by Share My Kitchen
Cranberry sauce isn’t particularly enjoyable. The way it slides out of the tin and into the bowl (in the shape of the tin), and the “glurp” sound as it went out to make it very unappetizing. Plus, its bland, monotonous nature is not really delicious addition to the table. Wouldn’t it be better to use mason jars over tins and can your food from home over buying it in the store? So, you can try making your own spiced homemade cranberry sauce to see if it’s any better than store-bought ones.
It may be preemptive to say that it’s like night and day before you have even tried it. But, there will be no doubt it will be the best-tinned food you have ever tried.
It’s amazingly easy and definitely more delicious to make homemade cranberry syrup from frozen or fresh cranberries. You can also make it ahead of time and can it by yourself so that you have a jar of homemade sauce on hand for when you need it. It’s prettier coming out of a mason jar compared to a tin.
Moreover, making your own homemade cranberry sauce could even help you save money. Costco sells a 907g (32 oz.) bag for $3, and you can only get five 8oz jam-sized jars and three cups.
For additional ingredients, you only need sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. But, the cinnamon and vanilla can be added if you prefer.
How to Make Spiced Homemade Cranberry Sauce
First, to make homemade cranberry sauce, you need to wash the cranberries, and add water, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla to a large pot. Cook it over medium high heat until it starts to boil and the cranberries begin to burst. Then, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it thickens like jam. This takes about 20 minutes.
This recipe can be made with fresh or frozen cranberries.
Lastly, allow it to cool and serve. Or, you can serve it hot, if you desire. You can also choose to let it cool, and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
How to Can Spiced Homemade Cranberry Sauce
You can make your cranberry sauce ahead of time, so your holidays are less stressful. Or, you can make enough this year, and preserve it to use for the holiday’s next year.
First, in order to make homemade cranberry juice, you need to wash your jars for your water bath canner with hot soapy water. Then, simmer them in your canner, and keep them hot until you’re ready to put cranberry juice in them. Your next step is to make your cranberry sauce, then pour them into the hot jars with 1/4-inch of headspace. Lastly, let it process for 15 minutes.
Your home-canned spiced homemade cranberry sauce is also a wonderful hostess gift for the holidays. It can be enjoyed all year round, contrary to popular belief.
- 12 oz fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- two cinnamon sticks or 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- one vanilla bean or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- First, add all the ingredients you need in a small saucepan, and set the heat on medium high. Then, stir well to combine all ingredients together. Let it simmer over medium or medium high until sugar has dissolved and the cranberries start to burst. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer gently for about 20 minutes more. Make sure to stir frequently until the mixture thickens like jam.
- If you are using vanilla beans or cinnamon sticks, remove them and put them in compost. Before serving, let the cranberry sauce cool completely.
- For canning, pour the hot cranberry juice into hot, sterilized jars with 1/4-inch headspace. Then, process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Remove the lid off the canner, and let it stand for 5 minutes before removing the jars. Allow them to cool completely before storage.
- If you are canning, you will need to double, or even triple the batch. The recipe above makes only one pint jar or two jam jars.