Last Updated on May 2, 2022 by Share My Kitchen
Are you craving some spicy chicken biryani at home but lazy to go out? We got you.
This easy pressure cooker chicken biryani recipe is here for the rescue! Now, we just need you to get up and get your pressure cooker out of the kitchen corner.
Are you ready? Let’s make your best chicken biryani recipe in a pressure cooker.
What Chicken Should You Use In Your Chicken Biryani?
Popular recipes use chicken thighs, however, you are free to use chicken breast as well. Just make sure you cut the chicken into medium sizes, that cook faster and are easier to serve.
Is Pressure Cooker Chicken Biryani Spicy?
If you aren’t into spicy food, you can certainly alter the recipe to your taste and not add chili powder at all (see ingredients below).
How To Make Chicken Biryani In A Pressure Cooker
- Chicken (500g)
- Basmati rice – 1 ½ cup
- Water – ¾ cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp.
- Onion chopped – 2 nos.
- green chili – as needed
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Tomato chopped – 1 nos.
- Garam masala – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chilli powder – as needed
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp.
- Cashew nuts – as needed
- Saffron – a pinch (optional)
- Coriander leaves -as needed
- Cardamom – 5 nos.
- Cloves – 8 nos.
- Star anise – 1 nos
- Cinnamon stick – 1 nos
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp.
- Bay leaf – 2 nos
- Black pepper – 1 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Heat butter in a pressure cooker at medium heat. Add whole spices to the melted butter and fry slightly till light golden brown, now add cashews. Saute till cashews are light golden brown.
- Add onions and green chilies and a little bit of salt. Saute until onions become golden brown color.
- Add turmeric powder followed by ginger garlic paste and saute till the ginger-garlic paste loses its raw smell.
- Add coriander powder, saute for about a minute and then add chili powder. Keep stirring for about a minute and then add garam masala.
- Turn heat to medium. Add chopped Tomato and salt. Mix well. Cover and cook until tomatoes are cooked well.
- Add chicken and mix well. cover and cook for a couple of minutes. Add yogurt. Cover and cook in medium heat till the chicken is about half done.
How Long Should You Cook Your Chicken Biryani In A Pressure Cooker
Close the cooker with its lid and pressure cook it till 1 whistle. Switch off the heat and leave it till all of the steam is gone. Now open the lid and let it rest for 10 minutes. Gently mix the rice with the chicken and serve hot.